Thursday, December 04, 2008

Night Training

Not all of our trainings were conducted on Sundays, nor in the morning. Due to the number of subjects that have to crammed in the number of available "preparation days" (days before we take command during the first semester), we sometimes have to take lessons at night, during weekdays. We did this at SSWC.

One of my favorite subjects was Military Intelligence. I remember that it was the course director who handled the lecture.

Unlike previous notion of James Bond and espionage, I understood military espionage as processing of information and I learned how to differentiate intelligence versus information versus data.

I appreciated it even more because I learned that I could apply military intelligence process in my practical life--not to spy on anyone but on how to get the information that I need and how to come to valid conclusions. I also learned why we needed the tickler notebook (which I use even up to today). Every bit of information may be useless for now but will come handy when collated and related with other pieces of information and in the right context.

I also appreciated the process of identifying the proper sourcing of information so as not to waste resources.

Of course, there is still the part of the dirty military intelligence--"dirty" meaning literally dirty. The soldiers go to enemy location, go under the ground to monitor enemy activity (I have also appreciated getting dirty to accomplish the task.).

Even officers may be required to do this "dirty task."

In the end, we learned how we, cadet officers, have continuing task of generating intelligence for our own purpose: How to survive UP and help other cadet officers survive the UP academic system and graduate.

We also have field training exercises at night, but that will be for another post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home